The DBIA Mid-America Region 2023 Conference
April 12, 2023
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
DEADLINE FOR RESPONSE is Friday, February 10, 2023 by 4 p.m.
The Design-Build Institute of America Mid-America Region (DBIA-MAR) is accepting submissions for its Regional Conference. With the huge success of previous conferences, we are looking for innovative and motivating session proposals featuring seasoned and experienced presenters and/or panelists.
DBIA-MAR seeks varied and diverse presentations covering all segments of the design-build industry including:
- Energy Projects
- Legislative Issues
- Issuing RFQ and RFP Documents
- Case studies within all of these areas are encouraged, along with case studies by design-build subcontractors and material suppliers
PRIORITY CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO PRESENTATIONS THAT INCLUDE AN OWNER* REPRESENTATIVE.
*Owner is defined as a public or private facility owner, operator, end-user or developer of a project or an employee thereof.
PRESENTATIONS REGARDING RECENT PROJECT DELIVERY: SUCCESSES AND CHALLENGES
As part of our core missions to help Owners save money, save time and increase quality, DBIA-MAR always encourages presentations that focus on planning, design, construction, contractual performance and other issues related to design-build, as well as how issues were resolved. Among the “project delivery” topics sought are:
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned
- Managing the Design-Build Process
- Progressive Design-Build Delivery
- Choosing the Right Procurement Methodology
- Contracting Approaches and Contract Structures
- Achieving High Levels of Sustainability on a Design-Build Project
- The Current and Future Surety Environment
- Innovative Technologies/Solutions Including BIM and Mobile Technology for Design-Build Projects
- Design-Build Versus Other Alternatives: Key Decision-Making Factors in Choosing Design-Build
- Engaging Owners to Ask the Right Questions and Make the Best Project Delivery Choice
- Transitioning from Design-Build to Design-Build-Operate (or Design-Build-Own-Operate)
- Developing Well-Written Performance Requirements and Specifications for Performance Contracting
- Roles and Responsibilities: Clearly Defining for Optimal Results
- RFP and Selection Processes that Work Well for Design-Build Approach
- Training the Next Generation of Design-Build Professionals
- Lean Construction
- Owner Education
- Case Studies (must include lessons learned and Owner participation)
- How owners are making the Design Build Decision
To be considered, please submit the following mandatory information:
Primary Speaker’s Contact Information:
- Name, Title, Company Name, Address, Phone, Cell, Email
- Title of Presentation (draft)
- Draft Presentation Summary (appropriate for inclusion in Conference Program)
- Outline of Presentation
- Three Major Learning Objectives (what attendees will learn/gain in the session)
- Speaker’s Background/Resume (a brief narrative describing speaker’s experiences and qualifications to present the submitted presentation topic)
- Suggested length of presentation is 60 minutes (includes time for Q&A)
- Presentation Level (Basic, Intermediate or Advanced)
- Proposed Presentation Format (Lecture, Case Study and/or Panel)
- Has this (or a similar) presentation been done by you before? If yes, please indicate when and where (for what group or organization)? If yes, can you provide references from that group or organization?
- If requested, would you be interested in writing an article for DBIA’s DATELINE or our Regional Website on this topic?
- Acknowledge this is not a sales pitch
Please also provide this optional Information, if available:
- Additional Speakers’ Contact Information: Name, Title, Company Name, Address, Phone, Cell, Email
- Additional Speakers’ Background (a brief narrative describing speaker’s experiences and qualifications to present the submitted presentation topic)
The deadline for submissions of interest is Friday, February 10, 2023. The review process will be completed by February 24 and presenters will be notified as soon as the final selections are determined.
Submission characteristics most desirable include:
- Fresh perspectives that shed light on emerging trends/issues, new ways of thinking and better ways of doing business in the design-build industry
- “Advanced” sessions that go beyond the surface and address particular issues/challenges; provide employable solutions and provide attendees with take-home tools
- Inclusion of experienced, credible presenters who can represent the perspectives of various members of a team (e.g., owner, architect/engineer, general and specialty contractors, manufacturers/suppliers, etc.)
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEES FOR PRESENTERS
Government employee and private sector owner speakers that are selected will receive a complimentary registration for the FULL conference. Practitioner speakers will receive a significantly discounted registration for the FULL conference.
DBIA-MAR’s conference offers concurrent educational sessions that range from 60 to 90 minutes in length. The sessions offer participants an opportunity to learn about new subjects or gain more in-depth knowledge about a topic with which they are already familiar. We strongly encourage dynamic presentation formats such as interactive workshops for disseminating your information, providing practical tools and take-home reference materials and allowing for 10 to 15 minutes at the end of the presentation for questions and answers.
Please email your submissions to DBIA-MAR’s Executive Director by 4 p.m. on Friday, February 10, 2023.
Questions regarding the submission process and/or sponsorship opportunities should be directed to:
Sara Jacobson, Executive Director
816.868.1686 • firstname.lastname@example.org